Wednesday, November 5, 2014

CFS Feature: Stamping with Cork + Some Great News!



Want to get more use out of your dies? Another way to get a different look is to die cut a piece of cork (in this case I used the 4 petal die from CAS-ual Fridays), 


adhere the cork die-cut to an acrylic block, and stamp. Instead of a smooth, saturated image you get a soft, blotchy image. Note that the cork absorbs A LOT of ink. The good thing is that you can stamp a dozen times without re-inking. The bad thing is that it's hard to change colors, especially if you start with a dark color and want to switch to a light color. For that reason, I often just cut another piece of cork and used a fresh "stamp" for each color. You can see a third stamp on the other side of the block above.


For this wreath I used the cork stamp to make the green 4 petal flowers. Layered on top is a solid red stamp, and layered on that is a small silver-embossed 4 petal flower. The wreath is filled in with more small 4 petals and sequins. The white panel and burlap are sewn to the card base. Afterwards it looked a little too stark, so I used the cork stamp on the edges of the white panel.


Here's a tag which is designed the same way as the card ... you might be able to see the stamped layers better here.


This card and tag are over at the CAS-ual Fridays Stamps blog today.



So, can I share my great news with you?

One of my cards is going to be on the March 2015 cover of Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking! Eeek! When I got the news yesterday I was the only one home and had no one to share it with in person. But, I'm sharing it with you all now ... whew ... I thought I would burst!

Thanks for looking!
-Kelly

11 comments:

  1. Great projects! Love the burlap layer on the card and WOOHOOO!!!!!!! So awesome about the cover! Thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous homemade cork stamp! Great use of diecuts; cool! And yeeeeaaaahhhhh for you on being a cover girl!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card. And "it's about time"! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous projects, Kelly! I love the burlap and the layering! There is just so much to look at --each one of them!! And I am so happy for you getting to be on the COVER!! CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great texture, this is wonderful Kelly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! I'm bursting with excitement for you! On the cover... What an honor! Yippee! If we lived close and I knew your favorite dessert, I'd bring it over to celebrate. :) The cork stamps beautifully! I've done foam before, but trying your cork technique is right at the top of my crafty list of things to do. Such a beautiful card and tag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so very happy for you, Kelly. I cannot wait to see which card was picked. You have so many that are cover-worthy. Love the texture you got with the cork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a superb idea!!! Love the results, I also like the burlap :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats so exciting, congratulations!! Bet you will be buying lots of copies for your family and friends and feeling very proud of yourself. Such awesome news!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Kelly ... what fantastic news ... many, many congratulations ... bet you're still floating with all the excitement! Splendid wreath and tag ... what a fab idea to use cork to stamp! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So clever and just beautiful. I love the peek inside your card too, so festive.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly